Recipes and Entertaining
Dulcinea® Pureheart® Watermelon and Tomato Summer Salad
Craving a light, tasty summer salad with sweet watermelon and robust tomatoes? This is it!
- 1/2 small melon (about 3 cups) Dulcinea® PureHeart® Mini Seedless Watermelon
- 3 Tomatoes (pick your favorites or mix it up)
- 1 cup loosely packed Celery leaves with some stems attached
- 1 large mango, peeled, cut in strips 2” x ½” x ½”
- 1 cup loosely packed Salad greens, such as spinach, baby field mix, arugula
- 1/3 cup Fresh Dill, leaves only, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup (4 oz.) Olive oil
- 1/4 cup (2 oz.) Balsamic vinegar glaze*, prepared
- 2 teaspoons Coriander, ground
- Sea salt and pepper, To taste
- Large, whole lettuce leaves placed under salad, optional Garnish
- Whole stems of dill, optional Garnish
Dice the watermelon into cubes, ½” x ½”, and place in large bowl. Slice the tomatoes in half and slice each half into eight wedges. Add to bowl. Trim the celery leaves and attached stems to 2”, and add to the bowl. Add the mango, and the salad greens to the bowl, and toss to mix. Add dill in three additions, tossing after each addition. Pour the oil into a small bowl and add the balsamic glaze, whisking to emulsify. Stir in coriander, salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings. Gently toss ¾ of the dressing with the salad, taste and add remaining dressing if needed. Line a luncheon size plate with large lettuce leaf if desired. Scoop a portion of the salad onto the lettuce and serve. Place a stem of fresh dill over the top of each salad before serving if desired.
Tips and Suggestions:
*Balsamic glaze is balsamic vinegar that has been reduced to a thick and syrupy glaze. You can prepare your own glaze by gently simmering 3 cups of balsamic vinegar down to thick syrup. The consistency is correct when the syrup coats the handle of a wooden spoon. Substitute papaya or crispy apple for the mango. If celery leaves are not available, dice 3 to 4 celery stalks and add to salad, lending a nice texture difference.